April 25, 2009

The Glorious Tulips of Keukenhof

What a glorious way to spend a Saturday afternoon visiting the 60th anniversary year celebration of the Keukenhof Gardens near Lisse, Holland!
It was my last trip gallabanting around Europe, and definitely one of the best. It is said mid-April is the best time to go see the tulips because that is when all of them were blooming in all their glory. We definitely saw so many blooms and none that could disappoint! It was a mission to see 7,000,000 tulips in the Garden of Europe that was happily accomplished. Each year, Keukenhof has a theme. Theme 2009: USA, New Amsterdam - New York, 400 years. There were lots of billboards about the historical relationship between the United States and the Netherlands. I took over 100 pictures of spring bursting out in all of its colorful majesty and glory. Finally, I was also able to see one of those cool, old and authentic Dutch windmills, up close and personal! It was really neat. The flowers almost looked fake, especially because of all the colors, designs, and the never ending varieties.

Spring with the Keukenhof Tulips
More Spring with the Keukenhof Tulips

Beyond the lovely and amazing tulips of Holland, there have been papers, presentations, fall class registration, and such nonsense around here. Thankfully, I only have less than a month until I get to come home! This week is the last of cercles (those dirty parties all the Belgians love) and quite possibly, I may get dragged into going. But alas, it is the last week since studying must commence at some time for finals. I will be taking three finals early, turning a final paper in early, and then taking another final once I get back to Austin before I start my internship. The professor is concerned about the validity of my exam if I take it early. The amusing part is that one cannot conduct an exam at 9A in Belgium and expect someone to take an exam half a world away in Texas at the same time, or rather, 2 in the morning. Her plans and her class totally fail! Oh how I have come to love Belgium ridiculousness in whole new ways. Though, the new popular opinion (and sarcastic response) is that nothing about Belgium is ridiculous. The Belgians streamline their lifestyle with only the highest quality common sense available to allow for simplicity and ease! Oh well, Belgium just really needs to pick up the pace on rewriting it's ultimate Chole evaluation in these last critical weeks! Wish me the best as I complete my European experience!!!

With all my ♥ from Belgium,

Chole

No comments:

Post a Comment